Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Frew Up.

Last night we were invited to a party for Uncle Will's brother Kyle, who has just graduated from Hy-Vee's manager school. It was held at the former Green Room which is now a super swanky restaurant/bar.

Let me set the stage for you:

We arrive a little late since it started at 6pm and we were coming from church (which ends at 6ish) and we had to feed the girls since we knew they wouldn't eat frou frou food. So a couple of Lunchables and some chocolate milk later, we arrived at Verde. As we enter we immediately feel a little uncomfortable because everything is so fancy and I don't see any other children there among the other diners. Luckily though our party is on the stage area and there I see a couple of children. Good. So we make our way back, in this tiny space, trying to be inconspicuous but not doing a good job at it...we greet our party, give Kyle a hug, and move to find a seat. We find a table and sit down, and immediately we are asked to get up, as that table isn't one in the reserved section. Not a huge ordeal except that moving four people, especially two children is not done quietly. Looking around, we see no more tables. Ok, roll with it...we go stand near our party and make conversation. Just then the waitress comes to take orders...we're in the way...we move from side to side in this restaurant that keeps getting smaller by the minute...finally we find a little nook with a couch and we take the kids there to sit. There is wine chilling in a cooler and Elly's infatuation with ice kicks in. She goes for ice but Dan stops her. Did she put a piece in her mouth? Then it starts. The cough. That telltale cough that we only hear when something is about to happen...coughing, more coughing..."Dan she's going to do it!" And then it starts. An eruption like Vesuvius coming from our poor piggy tailed girl. Down Dan's shirt, as usual. He whisks he away to the bathroom, which you might guess, is all the way at the other side of the restaurant. Eden and I say our quick goodbyes and chase after them. A few towels and Will's undershirt were required to get Dan and Elly presentable enough to actually exit the restarant. Dan said he was in the bathroom thinking, "Which is worse, going out there with puke down my shirt, or walking through a restaurant with a hairy chest?" Really, a rock and a hard place. The girls and I made a quick exit, and when we were finally outside, I took a deep breath. Elly must have felt the same relief I did and she said, "Momma, I frew up." Yes, yes you did.



Note:
Our sincere apologies to Kyle and Emily, for threatening to ruin their party, and to any of you who were were possibly eating at Verde tonight!

Thanks to Brynn and her quick thinking and Will for taking one for the team.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Bless your hearts...you WILL laugh about this someday (if you're not already!)

Joanna Kay said...

Good call with getting another shirt. I would have laughed if you had grabbed the hairy chest moment on camera though.
I could not believe it.
It reminds me of the holiday travel with the nielsens... Taylor only peed his pants twice... an improvement. I laughed so hard.
One day when my future children have a blog you and Kim can laugh at me. :) ha ha! Thanks for sharing Shadley.