Sunday, November 11, 2007

Toddler Bed Trauma?

After several nights in a row of Elly waking at all hours, Dan convinced me that it was time to transition her to the toddler bed. I was traumatized by this transition when we did it with Eden- she was barely two and we struggled night after night with her getting up and down and crying. Once she was asleep she was fine, but bedtime was a nightmare. I remember literally having chest pains from the anxiety I felt when it was time for bed. So I was hesitant to drag the tiny bed frame upstairs and assemble it for Elly. But Dan is the one Elly calls in the middle of the night (if I show up, she yells, "No! Daddy!") so we compromised--we would try it for three nights and see if it helps. If not, we go back to the confinement of the crib.

We set the bed up and there was much celebration...she asked each of us, "Wanna see my new bed?" a million times. The rejoicing lasted until naptime. She slept for about 30 minutes, or perhaps she didn't sleep at all. I am trying not to make the same mistake I made with Eden, i.e., turning it into a confrontation and battle of the wills. Not to say I will not be stern with her, but I am not making it a terrible part of the day either.

Last night Elly did ok, she went to bed about an hour later than normal (she was wired from the no nap). We used the Super Nanny method of laying them down and putting them back in the bed without talking or eye contact. Finally after about three times, she fell asleep. During the night, she just came out of her room once in the night at 1am and we found her sitting in front of her door, no crying. Dan put her back in bed and she slept until 6am. Then I put her back in bed at 6am and she slept until 9am! That's a bit crazy for our little morning bird. We are not counting on this sleep all the time, but it was nice! And at least she didn't cry and wake up Eden!

I will try to snap a picture of her in her toddler bed, she is so cute in it! A tiny little lump under her Strawberry Shortcake blanket!

No comments: